Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Where Am I Going?

Just about every day I live, I hear of someone I know dying. I know it is part of the process, but death is the part of life I haven’t gotten used to yet. About eight years ago, my father lost my mother to breast cancer. We miss her. She was, (and still is), the love of my father’s life. Recently, Pat Loomis, a cousin of my fathers, died at the age of 90. Pat was a gregarious woman who loved life. We will miss her. The Loomis family is very, very special to us, (I was named after Pat’s brother, Rich). Between then and now, we have lost aunts and uncles, and other friends and family members. It is hard to let go of each one of them. Sometimes it seems as if life is a series of unanswered questions; “What’s next?” "What happens when we die?" "Am I ready for it?" Or the frightening question, “Where am I going when I die? “ That question used to frighten me a lot, because I was afraid of death. I worried about what would happen when I died. I was unsure of my destination. I felt like a ship without a rudder, being tossed about in the waves. I was tired of that unsettled feeling. I wanted to know where I was going. The uncertainty of it all was very unsettling. Would I go to heaven?

Twenty-five years ago, I got the answers to my questions. One day in the fall of 1985, when I walked into church, I knew that the Lord was telling me that that was the day I should give my life to Him. On that day I surrendered my life to Jesus Christ. I confessed and repented of my sins to God. He had already done the work for me. I finally knew where I was going. Thanks to Jesus’ sacrifice for me, I had been offered forgiveness for my sins. What about you, are you afraid of death? If so, I know Someone who can help. His name is Jesus Christ. His offer of forgiveness is the same for you as it was for me. If you don’t know Jesus, I believe you have every right to be afraid. I was once afraid, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment